Friday, February 10, 2012

Fabric selection...how do you do it?

Yesterday I had lunch at the local quilt shop (which I will tell you about soon) with my "good friends".  We always have a great time with lots of laughs, but sometimes we have conversations that are thought provoking.  We had a "new quilter" stop in and she was looking for material to go with her new four patch squares she made.  As so often the case, the conversation of how we select fabric became the topic.  Her comment made be think...she said..."picking quilting fabric is SO the opposite of getting dressed".  I find that so true but never really thought about my process of fabric selection....I still don't have a good answer but I do know there are many ways to achieve your results...

for some - it is using a line of fabric
for some - it's about using dark colors only
for some - it's using colors that match (like getting dressed)
for some - it's very complicated and they use the color wheel  (still don't get how to really use it)

but..for me...I just have decided that I like scrappy and like to use fabrics together that make me smile and feel good.  I can't tell you why I think a combination is wrong but I feel it and I feel it when it's right.

So do what makes you happy and if you ask for an opinion listen but follow your heart - you will always be happy with your choice.

Here are a few of mine....
This a selection that is a work in process.  It is a class that I am taking and still have changes to make but my start! I want it be blue and brown with a little "pop"
This is a "finished" selection.  I am making a quilt for our "new" little granddaughter arriving in April.  Her mommy is not a lover of pastels so we have agreed this is perfect.
As you can see...I just like scrappy!  What is your preference?  Let me know!

Remember - SMILE always!
jayne

1 comment:

  1. I love scrappy!!!! Never used to and fussed around with the perfect combination. Now it seems like when I just throw stuff together it looks better. Love that baby quilt selection ... can't wait to see it finished! =:)

    ReplyDelete