Saturday, June 23, 2012

Old is fun....

No...I don't mean getting old I mean quilts that are from long ago!

My daughter in law (Laurie) brought over this quilt that had been in her family for some time.  Her concerns were it had a few holes and certainly a few stains.  There isn't much that can be done to restore it but I suggested she just enjoy it. 
The thing that is so much fun is to look at the fabric selections that were used.  We worry so about matching, clashing, darks and lights.  In the past they used what they had and saw the beauty.  I am certain for many of these quilts they were a necessity for the homes.  Take a look....

These are large blocks with a multitude of different fabrics.

Here is a close up of one of the blocks....
Note - the handles are pieced with a few different fabrics.

The more I looked at it, the more I liked it!  I thought it would be fun to recreate it with a more "current" selection of fabrics.  I may have shown my blocks a while back, not sure, so here is just a small selection of what I have finished. So far - 8 blocks - well basket piecing - no handles yet!


For the baskets I used a small print with a larger print.  No handles have been done yet but I will use just one fabric cut on the bias for sure. Each block is 16".  I think I will use it on a guest room bed when finished. Not sure why I say that but it just seems to tell me that's where it wants to end up :)  Finished??? I will certainly take a while but once completed I will age the entire quilt to give it that old time feel.

I love things from the past..They are someones treasures and we can just make up our own story about how they fit into a life way back when. I guess our quilts will be looked at in much the same way in many years from now.

A note - I have been told of a cleaning product that will take the spots out.  I will check on it at the Country Loft next week.  If nothing else I can return it to Laurie minus the spots.

Hope you enjoyed my little thoughts from the past..I will keep you updated as I progress along with this...remember - it is not on the top of my project list but always in my thoughts to get it completed!!!

Enjoy your Sunday and.....
Remember - SMILE always,
jayne




No comments:

Post a Comment