Sunday, October 7, 2012

lesson learned!

I have been quilting on and off for many years.  I always hear people discuss the "design board" and I just never saw the value - WRONG!!!!

I have been working on a 12 month Sampler quilt in a monthly class.  (Yes, I have shared blocks on other posts.) This project has been fun and frustrating at times.  For the most part the sampler is very much like the Dear Jane quilt, as a matter of fact I have seen several of my blocks in my Dear Jane book. The blocks will finish at 6 inches and as you can see many have several pieces....

Yes, I am getting to the design board :) 
I have just one class to go and during our last class we discussed how to set our blocks for completing the top. It was suggested that we put them on our design board and look at it often to see where you wanted to place them  I offered "I don't have a board I just use the floor or my bed".....well, I was encouraged to create a design board.  I don't have room in my sewing room so I used my guest room and it is a now up and telling me I should have had it up long ago!!

I have moved the blocks umpteen times and after taking pictures this morning I will be moving them again!!
This concept, used by most quilters, is invaluable when you are quilting with several fabrics or multiple block designs. It really lets you do your best when placing your squares.  It has taken me a while to take the step but trust me, a design board will always be a part of any quilt I make.


My first picture...
 

Notice the block righ in the center, it is no longer there:)
 
The fabric to the right will be "fussy cut" for sashing between the blocks.
 
I'm still not sure I like this quilt but I have learned much through the process and that I wouldn't change.  Nor sure if it's my fabric selection or what it is that bothers me but I will forge ahead and finish it.  At that time I can decide if I like it or not.
 
Lesson learned so far - use a desigh board!  It's a very "good thing".
 
Hope you all have a great Sunday and then even a better week!
 
Remember - SMILE always...
jayne
 



No comments:

Post a Comment